Signs & Symptoms of Mood Disorders
Mood disorder symptoms can vary wildly depending on the specific disorder, and can generally be divided by depressive or manic disorders.
Common depressive symptoms include:
- Feeling sad most of the time or for most of the day
- Lack of interest in typical activities
- Difficulty concentrating or focusing
- Feeling sluggish or a lack of energy
- Changes in appetite and weight
- Sleeping too much or not enough
- Frequent thoughts of death or self-harm
Common manic symptoms include:
- Feelings of invincibility and inflated confidence
- Dramatic increases in energy
- Risky behavior such as gambling, substance use, unprotected sex, and unsafe driving
- Thinking very quickly or racing thoughts
- Feeling easily distracted, agitated, or irritated
- Spending money recklessly during mania
- Being delusional, experiencing hallucinations, or thinking illogically
Causes & Risk Factors of Mood Disorders
There aren’t any certain causes of mood disorders, in part because there are many diverse disorders.
However, certain factors can increase the risk of mood disorders, such as:
- Previous history of a mood disorder, or family history
- Trauma, stress, or major life changes
- Physical illness
- The use of certain medications
- Genetics, such as brain chemistry and structure
Mood Disorder Medications & Treatment with KAV Mental Health & Psychiatry
KAV Mental Health & Psychiatry offers a comprehensive approach to mental health, including mood disorder treatment. Our psychiatric treatment and management of mood disorder medication help patients find stability and look more objectively at their thought patterns to help regulate their moods.
We also incorporate individual counseling and group therapy into treatment, where patients either work in a one-on-one setting with our licensed professionals to understand and manage their mood disorder or connect with others in small groups to feel less isolated in their struggles.
KAV Mental Health & Psychiatry offers personalized mood disorder treatment plans for each patient, with the added convenience and confidentiality of HIPAA-compliant video appointments. Our telehealth options provide all the benefits of our in-person treatment, six days a week, with same-day appointments. Contact us today for a confidential consultation and learn more about how we can help!
“I’ve always been sad or stressed a lot, like all the time. And honestly? Doctors could never decide what exactly I was dealing with — and that was stressful on its own! KAV showed me that I have both anxiety and depression, and found the right combination of counseling and medication to help me get my life back.”
“I fidgeted a lot as a kid, couldn’t pay attention and stuff, and it really made things like school and holding down a job hard. I’d heard of ADHD but never looked into it, but in just a few visits, my counselor at KAV Mental Health helped me understand my ADHD and I really got it under control.”
“I’ve always been a worrier. But after the birth of my first child, I started feeling anxiety like never before. A friend of mine told me about KAV Mental Health, and my counselor there helped me explore all this new anxiety. It changes every day with a baby, but I’m in such a better place now, and so much more available for my daughter.”
“After I got hurt on the job and got hooked on opioid painkillers, I went down a dark path. I thank the recovery team at KAV every day for showing me that my story happens a lot, and there’s a way forward from addiction. Finally, finally, I can be the father and husband my family needs.”
“There used to be times I was so depressed, I couldn’t get out of bed, even for food. All I had the energy for was scrolling through my phone or laptop. Having online counseling that I could reach from my phone made it possible for the first time to get real help, even when I was at my worst.”